BLOG 4 U!

Monday, November 20, 2006

Task 6

Okay… so one of the big issues this time, here comes Game Design! I suppose it’s a relatively vast subject that encompasses everything that makes a game great. I think I’ll begin to tackle it by referring to the Game Design Depository, initially with their article on gameplay. I found this site to be a very informative and interesting read and I was particularly pleased with all the separate links, made it very accessible and easy to find what I wanted. Anyways!

Gameplay is often considered to be of utmost importance when concerning the overall replayability and quality of a game. There are times when brilliant style flairs and a fantastic artistic vision can take the front seat (as in recent titles such as Killer7), but it’s a solid ground of engaging and rewarding gameplay which will keep the gamer coming back for more.

Duane Alan Hahn writes: “What is gameplay? Gameplay is simply the actions a player is allowed to perform in a game. If those actions are enjoyable and the controls are intuitive, you have the most important ingredients of a great game.” I’ve gotta say I agree with this statement, there are too many games today that focus on flashy graphics and effects. But flashy graphics are awesome… I want both! Why don’t I always get both?! Great graphics can help to bring such a level of immersion to a game and can add an overall air of quality; I suppose it’s that sublime balance of gameplay and graphics

When somebody says “Game Designer” to me, it’s Shigeru Miyamoto’s manic face that springs to mind. There's something about him and his games that seems to represent what games are all about, and that's having fun. He's even got candy!

His games contain such an enjoyable blend of fantastical environments and boundless exploration and adventure that I can’t help but find them to be masterpieces. And plus, Zelda is just full of “secks and win”, to use the proper internet vernacular. *Really wants to play Twilight Princess, is gonna eventually stop whining about it*. I think another leading and contrasting designer would be Hideo Kojima. His heavily story-based games are captivating pieces of work, if a little heavy on the cinematics and cut scenes. I particularly like the inclusion of clever little 'Easter Egg' moments and out-of-the-box thinking, such as switching controller ports to outsmart Psycho Mantis, perhaps a designer’s nudge to the player: ;) “It’s only a game”.

I think different genres definitely require different design principles because they’re trying to achieve different goals and are catered towards different markets. Aesthetically, character designs seen like those in Gears of War are not going to work in a dance mat game, and it’s a similar situation with the gameplay and what the designer is setting out to achieve, whether it be complex and tactical mechanics, or simple ‘pick up and play’ intuitive controls.

For me, gameplay is the essential element when I play. But a visually appealing game can make such a difference, if everything is presented in a flawless fashion it’s so much easier to become totally immersed, and I’m not just talking about photorealistic graphics with lots of shiny effects (though I do like the shinyshiny). Viewtiful Joe, for me, is a good example of this. The fantastic combination of fast paced gameplay and a brilliantly presented artistic style made it one of those games where I just kind of tuned out of reality and starting dodging bullets and smashing robots.

So yeah I think that just about covers it… feel like I’ve dragged this one on a bit and not got much said but never mind, I’ll try to improve for next time.

1 Comments:

  • For me, gameplay is the essential element when I play

    yes, but I'm not sure you've really articulated what exactly gameplay is... its a slippery beast alright...

    By Blogger Michael Powell, at 4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home