BLOG 4 U!

Monday, January 08, 2007

Task 11

Okay so... after looking through a few of these links, I am quite utterly confused as to how to define gameplay. I think the general consensus seems to be that the gameplay is the interaction that takes place within the game world. Whether sound and visuals are included in this definition, I can't be sure though I would personally consider such elements to be vital to certain games or genres, e.g. in rhythm based or musical games sound is a gameplay factor.

Gameplay is very important. I think since that can be agreed upon, now would be a good time to have a stab at finding out what it is... so... I think gameplay involves the game experience in its entireity, and although games can be split into sub-genres, as is seen often in reviews, I think that all the elements of a game, such as the story, the graphics, the controls, all contribute to how it plays and are therefore all important gameplay factors. I think I may be confusing myself now so I'm gonna simplify and start using examples.

Guitar Hero. Essentially, you could play this game with just the scrolling fretboard and the notes and the gameplay would be "the same". I disagree, because the real gameplay experience that they're trying to achieve is the feeling of being a rock star, and without the visuals, excellent sound, and your crowd of screaming fans, this couldn't be achieved and would detract from the gameplay experience. Your avatar on stage plays what you play, if you miss a note so does he, if you're doing well he'll break into a confident strut around the stage, if you're screwing up he'll be studying the frets in dismay. All of it adds to the gameplay.

I suppose what I'm trying to say here can be utterly crushed when we look back at retro gaming. Many argue that these games play and control fantastically despite their limited visuals and sound which is definitely true, but I don't think that means the sound and visuals have to be discounted from the term "gameplay" as they still affect how you play the game. For example, The Legend of Zelda. When I play it, I can't help but hum along to the overworld theme, it just gives such a wonderful sense of adventure. This is surely a gameplay factor, the game was designed to make people feel as if they're setting out on a quest across a sprawling unexplored land and the music contributes to that, as do the visuals. Like heading off into a dungeon. The dark and gloomy look is a sharp contrast to the bright overworld up above, there's now a sense of danger that wasn't there before and this could affect how you play, perhaps you'll now move more cautiously for example.

Well I've had a struggle with this one, I don't know whether I've just broadened the term "gameplay" beyond recognition but I enjoyed having a go and I hope I've raised a few points about this tricky monster of a term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home